FAA Rotorcraft Monthly Accident Briefing Nov 2021
Attached is the Rotorcraft Monthly Accident Briefing for November 2021 (second month of FY22).
Totals: 7 accidents, 1 fatal accident, 1 fatality
- The 7 accidents during the month matched the historical average for Novembers over the preceding 10 years, FY12-21.
- Personal/Private and Instructional/Training each accounted for 2 accidents during the month.
Cumulative FY22 Summary, Oct-Nov
FY22, Totals: 16 accidents, 3 fatal accidents, 4 fatalities
- Through 2 months, the estimated accident rate was 3.24 per 100K hours. By comparison, the best full year rate for a FY was 3.58 in FYs 15 & 17.
- Instructional/Training had 8 total accidents for the entire year in FY21, but has had 4 accidents in the first 2 months of FY22.
- The Oct-Nov estimated fatal accident rate was 0.61 per 100K hours. By comparison, the best full year rate for a FY was 0.51 in FY17.
- Personal/Private had 4 total fatal accidents for the entire year in FY21, but has had 2 fatal accidents in the first 2 months of FY22.
- 48 days had elapsed without a fatal U.S. rotorcraft accident prior to the fatal event on 11/28/21.
- The FY22 estimated fatality rate through November was 0.81 per 100K hours. By comparison, the best full year rate for an FY was .87 in FY17.
U.S. Helicopter Safety Team (USHST) Calendar Year Metrics
- Goal: Reduce the 5 year average fatal accident rate to 0.55 per 100K hours by 2025. The USHST uses the 5 year average fatal accident rate from CYs 2014-2018 (0.62 per 100K hours) as their baseline for measurement.
- The CY 2017-2021 5 year average fatal accident rate was 0.73 per 100K hours through November 2021.
Fleet Safety Section, AIR-723
Operational Safety Branch, Compliance & Airworthiness Division
We value your feedback. Click here to send us your feedback.