FAA Rotorcraft Monthly Accident Briefing - October
Attached is the Rotorcraft Monthly Accident Briefing for October 2020 (first month of FY21).
Totals: 8 accidents, 0 fatal accidents, 0 fatalities
- For the first time since FY16 and for only the fifth time for the 39 FYs on record, there were zero fatal accidents in October.
- For the first time in the 39 FYs on record, there were zero fatal accidents for the consecutive months of September and October.
- The 8 accidents during October tied for the third lowest October total in the past 39 FYs.
Cumulative FY21 Summary
FY21, Totals: 8 accidents, 0 fatal accidents, 0 fatalities
- The estimated accident rate was 2.84 per 100K hours.
- The zero fatal accidents in October broke a string of three consecutive FYs where 3 or more fatal accidents had occurred in October.
U.S. Helicopter Safety Team (USHST) Calendar Year Metrics
- Goal: Reduce the 5 year average fatal accident rate to 0.55 per 100K hours by 2025. The USHST uses the fatal accident rate from CYs 2014-2018 (0.62 per 100K hours) as their baseline for measurement.
- The CY 2016-2020 5 year average fatal accident rate was 0.69 per 100K hours through October 2020.
Safety Management Section, AIR-682 Rotorcraft Standards Branch, Policy & Innovation Division 817-222-5337 email@example.com
We value your feedback. Click here to send us your feedback.