FAA Rotorcraft Monthly Accident Briefing - October
Attached is the Rotorcraft Monthly Accident Briefing for October 2021 (first month of FY22).
Totals: 8 accidents, 2 fatal accidents, 3 fatalities
- The 8 accidents were distributed across 6 different industry sectors. No rotorcraft industry sector had more than 2 accidents during the month.
- The monthly total was identical to October of 2020. Four out of the last five Octobers have had 8 accidents during the month.
Cumulative FY22 Summary
FY22, Totals: 8 accidents, 2 fatal accidents, 3 fatalities
- The estimated accident rate was 3.01 per 100K hours.
- The estimated fatal accident rate was 0.75 per 100K hours.
- The estimated fatality rate was 1.13 per 100K hours.
U.S. Helicopter Safety Team (USHST) Calendar Year Metrics
- Goal: Reduce the 5 year average fatal accident rate to 0.55 per 100K hours by 2025. The USHST uses the fatal accident rate from CYs 2014-2018 (0.62 per 100K hours) as their baseline for measurement.
- The CY 2017-2021 5 year average fatal accident rate was 0.74 per 100K hours through October 2021.
Fleet Safety Section, AIR-723
Operational Safety Branch, Compliance & Airworthiness Division
We value your feedback. Click here to send us your feedback.