FAA’s Rotorcraft Monthly Accident Briefing for August 2021
Attached is the FAA’s Rotorcraft Monthly Accident Briefing for August 2021 (eleventh month of FY21).
Totals: 11 accidents, 1 fatal accident, 4 fatalities
-Continuing the trend from the last several months, the majority of the accidents during the month were either personal/private or aerial application operations (7 of 11 events, 64%).
Cumulative FY21 Summary (Oct – Aug)
FY21, Totals: 90 accidents, 15 fatal accidents, 30 fatalities
- For Oct – Aug, the estimated accident rate was 3.39 per 100K hours.
- The cumulative accident count of 90 for Oct – Aug was tied with FY20 for the lowest Oct – Aug total for the 39 years on record.
- Through 11 months of the FY, 54% of the accidents have occurred in two industry categories: Personal/Private (37%) and Aerial Application (17%). No other individual industry category accounted for more than 8%.
- For Oct – Aug, the estimated fatal accident rate was 0.56 per 100K hours.
- Among the 39 years on record, FY21 is tied for the second lowest count of fatal accidents from Oct – Aug.
- Through 11 months, 17% of the accidents in the FY have had a fatality, identical to the long-term historical average.