FAA Rotorcraft Monthly Accident Briefing - August
Attached is the Monthly Accident Briefing for August 2022 (11th month of FY22).
**Please access the information from this briefing directly anytime at the FAA’s publicly available, Rotorcraft Accident Dashboard.**
Find “Dashboard Navigation” near the top of the default page and click either “Historical Briefing” or “Make Model Breakdown” for access to all 3 pages of visualized and interactive data.
Totals: 14 accidents, 1 fatal accident, 2 fatalities
- Of the 14 accidents in August, 3 each occurred in the personal/private, law enforcement, and aerial application industry sectors. Together they accounted for 9 total events.
- The single fatal accident during the month involved a law enforcement helicopter.
Cumulative FY22 Summary, Oct-Aug
FY22, Totals: 120 accidents, 20 fatal accidents, 34 fatalities
- The FY totals and rates for accidents, fatal accidents, and fatalities through 11 months were all higher when compared to the same period from FY21.
- The Oct-Aug estimated accident rate was 4.86 per 100K hours.
- The Oct-Aug accident count is the 2nd highest over the past 10 years.
- The accident count was about 30 events higher than Oct-Aug for FY20 & 21 (peak of COVID impact), and about 10 events higher than most other years since FY13.
- 59% of the accidents through 11 months in the FY occurred either in Personal/Private (21%), Aerial Application (20%), or Instruction/Training (18%).
- The Oct-Aug estimated fatal accident rate was 0.81 per 100K hours.
- Personal/Private continued as the industry sector with the most fatal accidents (7 total) for Oct-Aug, more than twice as many as the next closest category.
- The FY22 estimated fatality rate through Aug was 1.38 per 100K hours.
U.S. Helicopter Safety Team (USHST) Calendar Year Metrics
- Goal: Reduce the 5 year average fatal accident rate to 0.55 per 100K hours by 2025. The USHST uses the 5 year average fatal accident rate from CYs 2014-2018 (0.62 per 100K hours) as their baseline for measurement.
- The CY 2018-2022 5 year average fatal accident rate was 0.8 per 100K hours through Aug 2022.
Fleet Safety Section, AIR-723
Operational Safety Branch, Compliance & Airworthiness Division
We value your feedback. Click here to send us your feedback.