FAA Rotorcraft Monthly Accident Briefing - March
Attached is the FAA’s Rotorcraft Monthly Accident Briefing for March 2021 (sixth month of FY21).
Totals: 9 accidents, 2 fatal accidents, 6 fatalities
- Of the 9 accidents during the month, 5 involved the personal/private industry segment.
- Of the 6 fatalities during the month, 5 were on 1 accident (planned heli-skiing flight in AK).
Cumulative FY21 Summary (Oct – Mar)
FY21, Totals: 44 accidents, 5 fatal accidents, 13 fatalities
- For Oct – Mar, the estimated accident rate was 2.99 per 100K hours.
- The cumulative accident count of 44 for Oct – Mar was the third lowest count in the last 39 FYs, but trailed both FY19 and FY20.
- The number of personal/private accidents continues to trend as disproportionately high compared to previous FYs.
- The 19 personal/private accidents represent 43% of the total FY21 accidents for Oct – Mar (historically 20-25%). The personal/private accident count is 3 times higher than the next closest industry category.